So, on Nanowrimo, the point of the whole matter is to get a LOT of writing done quick. To completely vanquish the inner critic and get something on paper.
Later--you get to go through it and pan for the gold.
When I got stuck, I went to the forum "writing prompts." Essentially, I picked one that talked about eating a fruit that has an unusual effect (it could be deadly, euphoric, give special powers, etc--whatever you choose.)
I wrote this scene, and am trying to figure out the effect!
I believe it will give those who eat it prophetic dreams....but haven't decided yet.
Here is the excerpt, written -- IN TRUE NANO STYLE--in about 10 minutes:
Reaching the copse of glorious trees, Lisa flung herself down into the soft moss underneath the trees. Peri strolled after, watching her. “You seem tired.”
“I’ve never worked so hard or walked so much in all my life! Yeah, I’m not in very good shape, not like you guys.”
Peri thought of that; what kind of life had she lived, where she worked indoors all day long, and never had to walk very far, and had a “car” take her everywhere—she said it was like a wagon, but didn’t need a mule to pull it. It was powered, Lisa had said, by an en-jinn.
It must be a very soft life there, he mused.
“What is that smell?” he noted with curiosity. “It smells wonderful!”
“It does…I’m really hungry, too.”
“It’s this fruit…I’ll try it.”
“Wait!” Lisa tried to stop him from trying the fruit which hung from low-lying branches just above them.
“Why?” Peri asked, surprised at her outburst.
“Because…of course, if you don’t know what type of fruit it is, it could be poisoned! You could get sick!!”
“That’s silly,” Peri reasoned. “If it was poisonous, it would not smell good, or look so pretty.”
“On Earth,” Lisa explained, “plants and fruits sometimes look and smell good but are poisonous.”
“Why??” he asked incredulously.
“I…I don’t really know,” she admitted.
“Well, on Lucenia, that does not happen. Food that smells good is good.” With that he picked a piece of the fruit. The fruit was shaped kind of like a heart, reddish golden, with pretty, bright orange lines criscrossing it in filigree patterns, making it look lacey. Then he rubbed it on his sleeve and took a big, mouthwatering bite. The juice started slurping just a little out the corner of his mouth.
The sound of it made Lisa’s mouth water!
“See!?” Peri asked with a smile. “I’m fine, I told you there was nothing to worry about.”
“OK.” Lisa accepted the fruit Peri offered. “I’ll try some.”
No comments:
Post a Comment